The United Nations provides opportunities for students enrolled in a graduate programme to undertake an internship at its Headquarters in New York, Geneva, Vienna, Nairobi, Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Beirut,Santiago,Arusha and The Hague.
Eligible candidates interested in doing an internship at the United Nations Headquarters in New York or any of the mentioned countries can apply.
The objective of the Internship Programme is threefold:
- To provide a framework by which graduate and under graduate students from diverse academic backgrounds may be assigned to United Nations Offices where their educational experience can be enhanced through practical work assignments.
- To expose them to the work of the United Nations.
- To provide UN offices with the assistance of highly qualified students specialized in various professional fields.
The United Nations Headquarters Internship Programme is offered on a two-month basis three times a year:
- January to March (Spring Session)
- June to August (to August (Summer Session)
- October to December (Fall Session)
To qualify for the United Nations Headquarters Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must be enrolled in a degree programme in a graduate school (second university degree or higher) at the time of application and during the internship; or
- Applicants pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages must have completed at least four years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a degree.
- Development-related fields such as economics, international relations, anthropology, sociology, public or business administration, or environmental studies. Other fields of study may be considered depending on the type of assignment;
Any work produced by interns during their internship within the framework of the duties assigned to them should be used for academic purposes exclusively. All economic and moral rights (copyright) pertaining to such work will remain the exclusive property of the United Nations.
Interested undergraduate or graduate students should write via EMAIL ONLY to the:
Ad Hoc Internship Coordinator,
Human Resources Operations Section,
Human Resources Management Service,
United Nations Office
Applications (in English) should include the following:
- A covering letter stating the grounds for their application;
- Recent curriculum vitae (CV);
- Copies of their university degrees or a list of courses attended or attending;
- Abstracts of academic papers they have written if any.
All applicants must be currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs. No phone calls, please.
After careful consideration of all documents submitted, only successful candidates will be notified of their selection.